Thursday, December 4, 2014

THE BEGINNINGS

Everyone starts their rv journey from different places.  This morning I was reading a blog about a woman that had filed bankruptcy and lost everything - her home, her car, her business.  She started over with a truck and used trailer.  I've read many blogs like this and I've read many blogs where people chose to sell their house and go fulltime rving.  Sometimes they are out of work and can no longer afford their house, sometimes they have retirement money available as well as social security.  Some people choose to live in a van or small rv to avoid rent or house payments.  Some people choose to live in a high end rv and pay rent at rv parks and resorts.  Every story is a little different but in the end we all want the freedom to travel and see what is out there.
I know I would be happy keeping a house here near my children and traveling several times a year but I don't see that as an option.  (I think I've written this before.)

It is 11 am and I've only had one customer this morning.  Sales have been declining since the beginning of November.  Sales during September and October were up from the previous year which gave me some hope that maybe I could turn the store around.  I gave myself a goal in August to save $300 a month on average.  (I say "on average" because when you own a business you know that money does not come in on a regular basis so you may be up one month and down the next.)   So far for the months of September, October and November I've saved exactly $300.  In October I did have to pay the business insurance so I knew there would be no saving during that month.  The disappointing part is November sales were so bad I not only didn't save but I couldn't pay one of my bills.  So roll that bill over to December and hope that I have an unusually good month just to keep up with my bills never mind saving.  Then the new year brings taxes and more worry.
I hate being so negative but I'm trying to be honest about where I am with respect to meeting my goals to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment