Thursday, December 18, 2014

MY BROTHER

Dec 12, 2014
Yesterday was the first time in my life that I knew my brother would not wish me a happy birthday.  And for the first time in as long as I can remember I didn't make myself a note to call my brother the next day.  I was born 1 year and 364 days after my brother.  His birthday Dec 12 and mine Dec 11.  I was the intruder in his world.  We were the oldest in a family of 7 children.  We didn't always have an easy life but we always had food and clothing and a roof over our heads.
I loved my brother but I didn't really know him.  We hadn't lived in the same city since we were in our teens and that makes it hard to know one another.  He had a type A personality, a workaholic and a alcoholic. Although Mike had stopped drinking more than 30 years ago he still considered himself an alcoholic and still went to meetings.  These are the things I know for sure.
Mike died this spring.  When I went to the funeral I saw his grown children and met some of his grandchildren.  His family talked about what a good grandfather he was and about how he had helped each one of them.  This was the first time I had seen the relationship between him and his children.
This was a different Mike, the loving father, the patient grandfather, the helpful son in law.  I'm very sad that I didn't get to know that person.
I love you Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment