Wednesday, July 8, 2015

CREATURES CLOSE TO HOME

Hi,
I chose to close the store on the 4th and spend my time cleaning house.  I set outside and watched the birds in my own yard every morning and afternoon.  I have 2 finch feeders and 2 hummingbird feeders in my yard.
Last year I had 2 house finches in addition to all of the gold finches.  This year the 2 house finches came back and apparently had a nest nearby.  Now we have 2 males and 2 or 3 females.  The young house finch feed from the hummingbird feeder as well as the finch feeder.  I was surprised by this but the book I have says the house finch will eat fruit so I guess that's why they are attracted to the hummingbird nectar.  They feed off the feeder with store bought nectar and a perch.  When the feeder is empty I will refill it with sugar water and see if the house finches will return to feed.  Such interesting observations while avoiding housework.
On Monday the 6th I went to Bernheim Forest.  While driving up to the treetop lookout I passed a wild turkey with baby and a doe with a fawn.  The turkey was moving into the woods so fast I could be mistaken about it's identity.  On the other hand, the doe stopped in a clearing and waited for the fawn to catch up then she continued into the woods and the fawn stood there and watched me for a few seconds before following mom. The fawn was very small maybe 4 or 5 weeks old.
What a wonderful weekend without leaving town. (and no I didn't get much housework done)
This morning while sitting outside I saw a hummingbird with an injured beak.  It seemed to be eating fine and was defending both feeders from other hummers.  My camera doesn't take a good picture from this distance but below is a picture of the little hummer with the damaged beak.  Does anyone have any info about hummers survival with a damaged beak?

Sad little bird, I hope he will be alright.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment