Friday, July 3, 2015

4th of JULY

Hi, I hope everyone has a great 4th.
I thought about trying out camping in my minivan this weekend then realized it was a holiday weekend.  A crowded campground did not sound like a good place for my first experience.
I put some couch cushions in my minivan to test out the sleeping arrangements.  Then I decided to sleep in the van in my driveway last night.  I went to sleep just fine but soon woke up with a pain in my neck and decided to move inside.  The cushions provided plenty of support but the uneven floor was the problem.  I will get a piece of plywood to level the floor out and I may build a raised platform for the bed.  I was considering an air mattress but I like the solid feel of the couch cushions so I'll be looking for hi density foam cushions.
With the bed in place there is plenty of room for storage in the back of the van.  I'm considering building a box for storage that will have a flip down lid that can double as a cooking table when it is raining.  When you are standing at the back of the van with the rear lift gate open you would unlatch the door and it would drop down to provide a table.  I could store all of my kitchen needs in this box for easy access.  I will need a place for the cooler and shelves for clothing.  I'm thinking milk crates will work best for the clothing and the cooler can sit behind the passenger seat.
Since I'm still working there won't be time for long trips so should I consider solar power or just stay in campgrounds with elec hookups?  Keep in mind that living in KY means the solar unit will not get much use unless I'm going either south or west for a weeks vacation.
And I'm confused about propane choices for a camping stove.  I once had a little propane grill that used the small green propane containers.  These would only last for 3 o 4 dinners.  I don't see how one of these would make coffee and heat meals for a week.  On the other hand I don't like the idea of carrying a large propane container in the van.  Are there any other choices out there?
Thanks for any advice you might have.
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment